Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
eRegime is a forum mostly based around forum games. Users think up and run said games, being given the means necessary to do so (such as full mod powers over the forum areas of their games.) It has been around since 2012.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Åland Question
Topic Started: May 1 2018, 09:07 AM (1,119 Views)
chazda
Member Avatar
User
The Åland Islands are an archipelago of islands equidistant between the nations of Sweden and Finland. It is the Utrikesdepartementet’s wish to bring this issue
to the attention of the international community and solve this question of soveriengty in a democratic and self-deterministic way that will satisy the governments
of Sweden, Finland, but most importantly the Åland islanders themselves. It is Swedish Government’s hope that this might be putforward as an issue in the Paris
Peace Conference, given Russia’s (and therefore Finland’s) involvement in the Great War, although as non-combatants ourselves we understand if this will not be
accepted.

In this publication we will outline our case internationally ((Although to be fair to Finland, I don’t expect to resolve this until a Finnish player can be found to
make Finland’s case)). Here are the main points,

I.In Decemeber 1917, the Åland question was first brought to the attention of the Konungariket Sveriges regering by a petition signed by 7,000
islanders (a majority of the islands electorate) for reunion with Sweden. Since then civil war in Finland has scared off Ålanders further.

II.Through their origin, language traditions, history, intellectual and economic interests, the Ålanders are intimately linked to the Swedes. It is natural
that their character and mentality are of a Swedish nature. It is then for the Ålanders an attack against their very life, when Finnish nationalism
attempts to destroy all Swedish tradition in the Islands and ‘Finlandise’ this Swedish population.

III.Sweden will grant the Åland Island a semi-autonomous status within the Swedish Kingdom, in order to respect that ethnic Finns will continue to live
on the islands, as their home and not be left alienated by the result of these discussions.

I have the full expectation that an agreement can be reached peacefully and without conflict. Inline with the ideals of nationalistic self-determinism outlines
by President Woodrow Wilson’s 14 points the Swedish’s Inrikesministern will be more than happy to coordinate a plebiscite on the matter for the Ålanders
with their Finnish counterparts.
Edited by chazda, May 1 2018, 09:23 AM.
Nils Eden - 15th Prime Minister of Sweden
Posted Image
Offline Quote Post Goto Top

AbeLincoln1865
Member Avatar
User
Regardless of who assumes sovereignty over them, I recommend the islands not be demilitarized due to the situation in Russia.
BoP XVI 1919 Japan

chazda
Member Avatar
User
Wise, but the situation in Finland has stabilised and whomever wins sovereignty I'm sure would be cautious to avoid the accusation of a military occupation.
Posted Image

AbeLincoln1865
Member Avatar
User
Whoever succeeds in Russia may make an attempt for the islands afterwards.
BoP XVI 1919 Japan

chazda
Member Avatar
User
We hope that any winner will respect the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, but rest assured that the Swedish Government is prepared for any outcome of the Russian civil war.
Posted Image

Emperor Joshua
User
First, the Treaty of Brest-Livotsk has been recognized by all as illegal and illegitimate by all. Second, please militarize the Aland Islands. Just in case.
Edited by Emperor Joshua, May 1 2018, 04:32 PM.

chazda
Member Avatar
User
Indeed Brest-Litovsk has effectively died a sudden death, but in the meantime we hope that the Aland islands pale in comparison to Russian hopes to restore Poland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine and Lithuania. Anyway the militarization of such islands are neither here nor there for the time being.
Posted Image

chazda
Member Avatar
User
The Swedish government was hoping that the White Russians would also be supportive of such an initiative, and admittedly banking on their victory over the Reds.
Posted Image

Gyrocile
Member Avatar
Pleasantly fragrant
Gamemasters
chazda
May 1 2018, 10:22 AM
We hope that any winner will respect the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, but rest assured that the Swedish Government is prepared for any outcome of the Russian civil war.

Romania trusts the Kingdom of Sweden to take the best course regarding militarisation of the islands when necessary with their own good judgement.

Emperor Joshua
May 1 2018, 03:59 PM
First, the Treaty of Brest-Livotsk has been recognized by all as illegal and illegitimate by all. Second, please militarize the Aland Islands. Just in case.

With the Kingdom of Sweden working with both the Ålanders and Finns, there is no need for nations across the world to demand things to happen in this situation.
Glory to Ismail! Long live eRegime!

Exiled
Exiled - GM

BoP XVI
Posted Image His Majesty, King of the Romanians - Ferdinand I

Former Games List

Emperor Joshua
User
There are no demands being made. I just suggested militarization. If Sweden doesn't want it, he won't do it. Romania, please, STOP taking any suggestion I make and turning it into a forceful "demand".

Gyrocile
Member Avatar
Pleasantly fragrant
Gamemasters
Emperor Joshua
May 2 2018, 07:05 AM
There are no demands being made. I just suggested militarization. If Sweden doesn't want it, he won't do it. Romania, please, STOP taking any suggestion I make and turning it into a forceful "demand".
Apologies for derailing the conversation, but you literally gave him a list that looked like demands. The Beiyang Government has been doing a lot of demanding across the international stage recently.

If it looks like a demand and comes from someone who is making a metric ton of demands, surely it can't not be a demand? :colbert:

And besides, I was merely encouraging Sweden to make the decision when it comes to it through their own thinking, without feeling obliged to take into consideration nations such as Beiyang Government who actually have absolutely nothing to do with this. (Although of course I know Sweden is not foolish and would not have taken it into account anyway.)
Glory to Ismail! Long live eRegime!

Exiled
Exiled - GM

BoP XVI
Posted Image His Majesty, King of the Romanians - Ferdinand I

Former Games List

Emperor Joshua
User
I am sorry if it looked like a demand to you, Mr. Overreactor. It's just a suggestion, calm down. If Sweden doesn't want it, they won't take it. I bet you are going to turn this into an annexation thing AGAIN, even if it has NOTHING to do with it.

chazda
Member Avatar
User
The Beiyang delegation is not welcome to this discussion if they are going to bring their trademark purile and ridiculous fashion of diplomatic parlance here. If Romanians irritate you for whatever reason deal with it with some sort of decorum.
Posted Image

chazda
Member Avatar
User
and to the Romanian delegation, you don't need to intervene on Sweden's behalf. Although it was framed as a demand we took it as a suggestion given China's inability to in force anything West of the straits of Malacca.
Posted Image

MDennis3
Member Avatar
Notable User
Belgium is absolutely against all attempts by the Chinese to militarize and annex the Aland Islands.
Belgium - BoP 1919
Beiyang China must be destroyed!

Bernardo Pignatelli - Exiled

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: